EOS M (Should I buy or wait till next model)

trueb1ue

Jan 19, 2007
EOS M (Should I buy or wait till next model)?
How much can I sell for my used Canon 500D ? haha need $$ to offset the purchase for EOS M.
Any one can advise?

What's the pushing factor go get the eos-m?

Anyway, I think that canon is lacking quite abit in mirrorless technology.

Personally I wouldn't use the EOS-M as my primary camera. As a back-up though, it has its attraction.

If it's going to be like the XXXD line, Canon will bring out a new version every year. Something to note.

nah, i wouldn't pick up the EOS-M.

the m43 and nex offerings sure look better.

Eos-m, in my opinion, is only good to complement a canon system with good (L) lenses. Native EF-M lenses are few n not that good. Getting EOS-M as a first primary camera would not be a goid idea.

What's the pushing factor go get the eos-m?

Anyway, I think that canon is lacking quite abit in mirrorless technology.

Alhough they are lacking quiet a bit in mirrorless technology, Canon is quiet well established in compact camera technology.

Despite the different sensor size, just wonder why don't they use G1 X technology to EOS-M ?

Eos-m, in my opinion, is only good to complement a canon system with good (L) lenses. Native EF-M lenses are few n not that good. Getting EOS-M as a first primary camera would not be a goid idea.

That pretty much summarizes Canon's strategy with the EOS-M. They want you to buy both SLR AND the M to complement it.

How much can I sell for my used Canon 500D ? haha need $$ to offset the purchase for EOS M.
Any one can advise?

Do you really need to use Canon EOS-M or maybe you can go for Sony NEX 6? Sony has slightly bigger APS-C sensor and maybe better ISO noise performance.

I have the EOS-M and I like the compact size. It also has the hot shoe which I can use off-camera flash like third party Yongnuo which usually support Nikon and Canon. It has touch screen as well as wheel scroll beside it. Accidental adjustment of setting occurs quite often as I sling the camera in front of my chest.

Test out the Autofocus and see if you can accept the speed.

The Canon has this 22mm f/2 prime small lens vs Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake whereas the Sony has this new small E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6.

Since I have no retrofocus lens or DSLR b4, I will focus on building a new lens line. I trust to go Canon.

Canon really has to catch up with more rangefinder-like lens as I think main competitors will be from Samsung and Sony.

Do you really need to use Canon EOS-M or maybe you can go for Sony NEX 6? Sony has slightly bigger APS-C sensor and maybe better ISO noise performance.

I have the EOS-M and I like the compact size. It also has the hot shoe which I can use off-camera flash like third party Yongnuo which usually support Nikon and Canon. It has touch screen as well as wheel scroll beside it. Accidental adjustment of setting occurs quite often as I sling the camera in front of my chest.

Test out the Autofocus and see if you can accept the speed.

The Canon has this 22mm f/2 prime small lens vs Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake whereas the Sony has this new small E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6.

Since I have no retrofocus lens or DSLR b4, I will focus on building a new lens line. I trust to go Canon.

Canon really has to catch up with more rangefinder-like lens as I think main competitors will be from Samsung and Sony.

Competition from Samsung ? I rarely see people shoot with Samsung NX, except from Samsung smartphone.

Any one can advise?

Do you have any reasons to get the M? Is there something about the way you shoot which can be accomplished by the M but not the 500D?

As i see it, of course I would feel 500D is sufficient, but the above questions will help you to make up your mind. If you can answer it sufficiently, then you have good reason to get the M. But then again, do consider whether other offerings in the m43 system is sufficient to perform what you need.

Any one can advise?

the EOS M is only launched recently, so the wait is at least 1 year for the new model.

for your 500D, you can search the Buy & Sell section to see the average prices that other people are selling, then you can set your own

BlackBerry said:
Alhough they are lacking quiet a bit in mirrorless technology, Canon is quiet well established in compact camera technology.

Despite the different sensor size, just wonder why don't they use G1 X technology to EOS-M ?

G1X AF speed is nothing to shout about either. Feels almost as slow.

Competition from Samsung ? I rarely see people shoot with Samsung NX, except from Samsung smartphone.

Maybe not now, but in the near to mid future. One thing good for Samsung is that it doesn't have to support legacy retrofocus lenses. Also Korean companies like Samsung always prove itself capable to mass produce cheap and capable consumer electronic products like plasma tv, smartphones, dvd players etc.

Actually, probably the only issue I have with EOS-M is it's focusing speed. I've not handled it for more than 10mins. And it was during the Canon photo marathon, For the 10mins, the only thing that really gets on my nerves is the focusing. And the mirrorless cameras I'm comparing it to are brands like Sony (NEX systems) and Olympus (OM-D). I have also handled them for a brief 5-10 mins in the past before. And I can really feel the difference in LV focusing.

I personally think that EOS-M at this stage is an infant compared to the brothers in mirrorless technology. Room for growth, but not ready to compete...

I wouldn't get it as my primary or first camera. If I were you I would have the 500D. It would teach u more about taking photos and also it is cheaper overall. My EOS M kit II is $1.2k! But as a backup and small camera alternative to my 5D, it's very good.

Good : image quality is best I've seen compare to my old EPL3, NEX 5N and various compacts. I believe it's got the edge over the very impressive EPL5/OMD too. Video and sound quality is also very impressive. The retro camera effect is fun and addictive. Build quality is strong and high quality.

Bad: the AF is slow. A new firmware fix is totally required. Low light AF is as good as anything else, It has forced me to use MF but it has produced amazing photos. Last problem is lens choices in EFM mount. Now using EFS 18-135mm lens attached which defeats the purpose of having a small camera. I'm hoping for a good EF-M 15-70mm IS lens and some super primes like the Olympus m4/3.

Best small camera with changeable lens and good pricing now = EPL5

But still in love with my EOS M with 50mm f1.4 attached.

First off, the EOS-M is a very capable camera with a great sensor and processor. And IQ wise it matched the DSLR 650D, in actual fact many reviewers noted that the EOS-M is a 650D in a smaller package.

Canon's first mirrorless camera came into a very very fiercely contested market, I would say all brands that came out with mirrorless cameras are its competitors.

Look at Olympus new OM-D and EPL5, both had m4/3 sensor that are no doubt smaller than the APS-C sensor, but its performance are stellar, I owed the OM-D and Canon's 7D, and their image quality are almost the same. Another thing about the m4/3 - their AF was incredible - fast and pretty accurate.

Then the Fujifilm's X-pro1 and X-E1 (or something like that), both had incredible sensor too which produce image that many swear to be the best in the line (not sure though, I didn't had the fujifilm).

Of course we have the Sony's NEX system. and do note that the Sony made one of the best sensors around... and had one of the fastest (or the fastest) autofocus in video mode.

Of course finally we are looking at Samsung... nothing to say here because I have no experience with Samsung at all... and none of my photography buddies uses Samsung, so yeah.

There are also the Pentax (k-01, Pentax Q) and the Nikon V1/J1/V2/J2. Well... except for the K-01, the Pentax Q and Nikon 1 series had very small sensors, that doesn't mean their low light performance is bad or something like that.

Anyway, my point is... do not just look at EOS-M... look to other brands' mirrorless camera, play with them for a while and see which one you like best, then choose that one. Also don't give the G1X a miss. Although it is not a interchangeable lens system, but its image quality is stellar.

I will wait and see if Canon releases a firmware update to address the AF issue of the EOS-M. If nothing comes up... my best bet is the Oly OM-D.

if u already have a dslr..stick to it....if ur downgrading to a smaller camera for its compactness go ahead..but..eos m is not recommended..even hwm says so..theres other competitors out there with better tech than the eos m..eos m is just way too latev coming in.with first gen stuff..the rest are all ahead of the game..i u want u can get it and wait for firmware updates to improve its cons though..it might step up a notch

if u already have a dslr..stick to it....if ur downgrading to a smaller camera for its compactness go ahead..but..eos m is not recommended..even hwm says so..theres other competitors out there with better tech than the eos m..eos m is just way too latev coming in.with first gen stuff..the rest are all ahead of the game..i u want u can get it and wait for firmware updates to improve its cons though..it might step up a notch

Well... the EOS-M is the only MILC so far that can autofocus with EF/EF-S lenses. And considering it's a first gen feature, the touch screen controls are well executed.